Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Where Is Spring? by Kathy Halsey

It's time to write on and shine like the sun for some spring fun. Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez and Ciara O'Neal are hosting the Spring Fling Kid Lit Contest to brighten our days. Thank you, ladies. 
The 411 for the contest is as follows: a story for kiddos 12 and under, 150-words or less, based on a spring GIF or image. Find my inspirational image and 148-word story below. Thanks for popping by, and Happy Spring!





Where Is Spring?

by Kathy Halsey


Skyler, do you see Spring? Mom said to look outside.
Lily, I see you, a pretend-tiger in a coat.

And I spy a goofy brother in a weird hat. But where’s Spring?
Maybe it’s hiding. Let’s tromp through the bushes. 

Ouch, scratchy-sticky-bushy things. NOT Spring, Skyler.
Yeah, but see those green buds? Are they Spring?

M-a-y-b-e. And what’s that popping through the dead leaves?
A crocus? A tulip? Hmm, could be a sign . . .

Looky, I found it. Right here, Skyler – the teensiest, tiniest blossom of Spring!
Are you sure we found it all? 

No, I hear it, too. Take off your hat; open your ears. 
Yup! It's cheeping birds and glunking frogs.

Lily, ditch your coat. I feel Spring, too.
Hey, the breeze tickles my neck and whips my hair. 

Spring? We gottcha. No more hide-n-seek!

Ready or not, here we come. WE found Spring.






  

29 comments:

  1. That is one fun hide and seek story with a great find! Thanks, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. I hope Spring finds YOU. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Fun story! We've definitely got Spring down here in Savannah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ty for commenting, Melissa. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. TY, Beth. It's the first writing I've done in a bit.

      Delete
  5. A lively, fun invitation to get outside and find the signs of Spring for ourselves. Kids'll love this, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, ty for the compliment. Happy Spring

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun and kid relatable, Miss Kathy :) Feeling Spring with each line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by my grandkids and a few PBs. Happy Spring, Charlotte.

      Delete
  8. Let's hear it for finding spring! Yay!!! Love it, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jilanne, thank you for reading and commenting. Happy Spring,

      Delete
  9. Great word choices, and darling pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandkids only take great pictures, right, Deb????

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the hunt! Great use of the senses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Colleen. I appreciate you stopping by and reading my story. Sunshine to you.

      Delete
  11. Fun to read, Kathy! Boy do I see the illustrations you created in your head. Hide and Seek...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, it means a lot to me that you can see the illustrations. TY. :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing this fun spring hunt with us, Kathy! --Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, this is adorable! I really like how you tied in the different senses. Very clever and cute dialogue between the siblings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty, Laurie. You are getting around today. Happy Spring.

      Delete
  14. I love their search for spring. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy. I think we're all searching for something happy this days.

      Delete
  15. This is lots of fun and beautifully evocative of the very earliest beginnings of spring! And I love the word 'glunking' as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Claire, thank you for stopping by. Looking for springs looking for hope!

    ReplyDelete