Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Road to Fall - #FallWritingFrenzy 2020 by Kathy Halsey

 



Ready for some fall fun? Fall is my favorite season and writing's my "jam" so participating in the second year of the #FallWritingFrenzy is right down my alley or...my road to fall.

The goal for this contest hosted by Lydia Lukidis and Kaitlyn Sanchez is to create connections in the kidlit community and challenge oneself to grow by writing something new. Plus we win prizes, critiques by industry professionals. YAY. Thanks to Lydia, Kaitlyn, judges, and those donating critiques. Good luck to all who enter, too. You can find other entries here.

The rules instruct participants to write to a visual prompt (see mine above), 200 or less words,  and audience age PreK  on up. The piece can be a poem, mood piece, happy, scary, beautiful, grotesque, whatever suits the season and the chosen visual prompt. 

                                                                                    WC:123

The Road to Fall

by Kathy Halsey


The road to fall runs wild

with pops of pumpkin orange. 

It lead to murky mists 

  settling in the hollows.

What's there? 


The road to fall hints of hidden haunts 

with dappled leaves shadow-dancing,

hovering overhead.

  What lies beyond?


The road to fall rolls down shrouded paths

where the chitter-chatter of chipmunks

 is swallowed by 

sudden stillness.

What looms large?


The road to fall

floats

somewhere between real 

and make-believe.

Step-by-step we creep closer

What's behind brambles and bushes?


The road to fall reveals steep stone steps

up-up until a cold metal gate stops us,

prevents our climb

inside a squire's castle.


The road to fall...

It's on our minds

murky mists,

hidden haunts

between real and make-believe.

What wildness might we unlock? 



 













 












  



 

 



 





41 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    So many great questions asked and inspired by your writing. I love the alliteration and images. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen. I appreciate you reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Love it Kathy! Such a glimpse of the season, and I love the whole feel of your piece. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you,Beth. I was going for tone. Can't wait to read yours.

      Delete
  3. Such wonderful imagery! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the line between real and make believe. Lovely language ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your lyrical style and language Kathy. You capture those fall thoughts and add mystery as I travel down that unknown road! Well done lady. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of unlocking wildness - it is a great prompt to end on! Great job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. I love the ending stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your mysterious imagery and word choice. Rolls right off the tongue. Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Tracy. It brought back being a kid and actually finding this castle in the woods.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work! I loved the journey of reading the work and the journey in the work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely imagery and beautiful writing. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I appreciate your support, Patricia. Miss you.

      Delete
  11. LOVE THIS, Kathy! It needs amazing illustrations and expressive read-alouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe I need to make this a PB. Thanks, Caren.:)

      Delete
  12. This was so cute! The real and the make believe:) Colleen Dougherty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, you entice us down that road to Fall by way of your delightfully evocative and imaginative descriptions and sensory details, which gorgeously evoke the real and the make-believe. I enjoyed so much of your wildly wonderful wordplay, but my favorite phrases were "pops of pumpkin orange," "murky mists/settling in the hollows," "dappled leaves shadow-dancing," and "the chitter-chatter of chipmunks." Thanks for taking us on aa a fabulous journey and reminding us to stay curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a careful reading! I do love to write w/lyrical language. Happy Fall to you, Anne. :)

      Delete
  14. Kathy, So much fun to read! My favorite line--somewhere between real

    and make-believe. I love that you wrote about a childhood experience, CP.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This prompt fits your blog theme perfectly, Kathy! My favorite stanza is "The road to fall--/floats/somewhere between real/and make-believe." That's my favorite part of fall too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candice, fall give us a chance to hover between seasons and use our imaginations. Ty for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  16. This describes the season perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebekah, thnak you for stopping by ot read and comment. Happy Fall.

      Delete
  17. Kathy, the imagery is so beautiful! And the chitter-chatter of chipmunks made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley, I hear them in my backyard all the time. Keep smiling. :) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  18. Lovely poem! The road to fall leads to my closet of cozy sweaters and jeans that still (just barely) fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I "get" that Lauri. I love to slip on a fave sweater and I cross my fingers ot see if the jeans and I are still a match! LOL

      Delete
  19. Thanks for sharing your great descriptive piece with us for the Fall Writing Frenzy!

    Sincerely,
    Kaitlyn Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kaitlyn, thank you and Lydia for giving us a chance to write and for the effort and time this takes from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy, I absolutely LOVE THIS! You're such an amazingly talented (and busy!) woman! Are you participating in the PBCritiqueFest from pbspotlight.com? If you are, I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Caren,noI am taking a bit of a contest break. Ty ofr reading and commenting. You know what it means to a writer.

    ReplyDelete