Saturday, October 28, 2017

Bwahahaha -Halloweensie Is Here by Kathy Halsey

Ghoul friends, writers and readers, it's time for Susanna Hill's Halloweensie contest. You still have a few days before the bewitching hour to write your own. OR - read them all and share with family and friends. Soon you'll be able to vote on your fave. 
Competition's always keen, but we writers are good spirits and cheer each other on. 

Rules state only 100 words or less, kid-friendly, a true story arc, and use of these words: Candy Corn ( count as 1 word), monster, shadow. (Other forms of the required words may be used, too.)
Hope you find mine delightful and not too frightful.

Candy Corn's Dilemma

Candy Corn is forlorn.
It's almost Halloween.
She wants to mix with goblins who trick,
But Mom says, "Don't be mean."

Monsters and ghouls roam this night,
Yet Candy frets in despair.
Sweet and cute are her strong suit,
Tonight nobody seems to care.

"If I could just be a zombie, a mummy,
or shadowy, or spooky, or scary...
Not syrup and honey, not yellow and sunny,
I'm just too darn ordinary."

Her doorbell rings; kids stand and stare.
"EWWW," they scream as one boy states,
"Run away, run away, don't take the bait,
that Candy Corn is out-of-date."
















37 comments:

  1. Ha! Love that surprise ending! I wasn't expecting that at all. Well done, my friend, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a totally unexpected ending. And scary too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Love the ending, too funny! Out of date candy corn is the worst though, isn't it? :) Best wishes in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great rhyming words! And yuck, stale candy corn IS scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candice, thank you for reading my entry. Happy Halloweensie.

      Delete
  5. Ha! Good ending, Kathy! Scary after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is scary in one way - Can dCorn may lead to a tummy ache.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Dave. Cand got what se wanted - to be frightening. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the snappy language and surprise ending, Miss Kathy-LOL I am feeling sorry for poor Candy Corn. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte - I thick we Mojo Women did a fine job. Luck to us all.

      Delete
  8. Candy corn is kinda too sweet! Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Eileen. Actually I'm no fan of real candy corn...it scares me.

      Delete
  9. Third times a charm...Blogger is not letting me post.
    I love your rhyme, Kathy...great job and awesome twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY for persisting, Vivian. I appreciate you reading this.

      Delete
  10. Oh what an absolute fun, fun read. And hahaha, what a twist at the end. All the best Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Pam. Your opinion is important to me.

      Delete
  11. Great fun! I did not see that ending coming. What a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GLad she got to be scary! Great job, Kathy. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, thanks for stopping by, Maria! We all want to be something we're not every now and then, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Out of date candy corn is no bueno. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to read! May all your candy be in date!

      Delete
  15. Love the ending Kathy! Made me laugh. Candy Corn gets the one up after all, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! So glad Candy got to be scary after all. I'm one of the few who loves candy corn, but even I'll agree that stale candy corn is terrifying, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty, I actually don't like the stuff. I am glad you stopped by to read.

      Delete
  17. Love the twisted ending! Must confess that I'm guilty of keeping it from year, to year, to year...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Patricia, so glad you came over to read this. I think candy corn is the "fruit cake" of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha! Great ending, Kathy! You made me laugh out loud! Nothing would ever last long enough to be out of date around here! Except maybe candy corn...! :) Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun!

    ReplyDelete