Friday, December 8, 2017

Roger the Christmas Squirrel: 7th Annual Holiday Contest -by Kathy Halsey

Yes, readers, it's time for mistletoe, holly and Susanna Hill's contest. Snuggle up with some hot cocoa and sugar cookies. For this story I recommend munching on Christmas trees. (You'll see why soon!) 




The rules are deceptively simple...actually writing these teensy stories is more complicated than it looks. Squeezing a story into 250 words can be quite the task. (My entry is 249 words.) In a nutshell, rules indicate the word count and a holiday surprise story for kids up to age 12. (The nuts for my "nutshell' are acorns, also germane to my story.)


For this tale I mined memories of my mother and the special relationship she had with my niece. Mom created a tradition that stayed with Lauren her entire life. Now she's sharing this tradition with her first child, Eloise. I dedicate this story to Mary Hackman, Lauren, and Eloise. May Roger's legend continue.


Roger the Christmas Squirrel

by Kathy Halsey

             Lori longed for a large family so she befriended the backyard animals. Cardinals robed in red cheered winter skies. Whitetail deer peeked from the brush. She fed them acorns and blackberries.
            One frosty day, she heard chatter. A bright-eyed squirrel skittered in the old oak. Lori held out a handful of acorns. He scampered to her. She smiled. His eyes twinkled knowingly.
            “I’ll call you ‘Roger.’  Let’s celebrate Christmas.”
            He chitter-chattered his agreement.
            Lori searched for Roger everyday. He left little surprises in the oak hollow — a shiny coin, a berry crown, a heart-shaped rock. She gathered the gifts and shared them with mom.
            As the days grew shorter, Roger visited less. Lori missed him. Was he hunting for food before snowfall?
            She and Mom baked pine-shaped cookie treats for her friend and placed them in the special oak tree. They disappeared. Where was Roger? She watched the barren backyard for signs.
            In the crook of the oak, she spotted a note written on brown paper. Lori’s hands trembled as she read.   
           
            Merry Christmas Lori,
            I found your cookies — much better than acorns. I am the Christmas squirrel. I only       visit this time of the year. Remember me by the present under your tree.
            Love,
            ROGER

            Lori darted inside, surprised by the pinecone doll. She cradled it gently.
            Years passed. Today Roger’s magic returned. Under Lori’s tree lay a pinecone doll with a note, “ For Roxie: Love, Roger.”
            “Momma, who’s Roger?” asked Roxie as Lori’s eyes twinkled knowingly.

Original illustration by Teresa Robeson
Bonus gift. My brother found a few notes from the real Roger. 
This is a section of one note. Mom has been gone 7 years, but her special traditions live on for my niece and grand niece now. (Roger always wrote in capital letters, too.)

















33 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to be a part of a story that is inspired by your mom, Kathy! Merry Christmas to you, and good luck with the contest! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thank you for sharing your work! We both delight in memories of our moms. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Kathy,
    You paint a pretty picture with cardinals, blue sky, and white tailed deer. What a lovely tribute to your mom. Sweet surprise for Roxie❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie, thank you for heaping me make it better and clearer. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you of reading this, Sherri. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  4. A Christmas squirrel...he gets double acorns in my book. Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory in story form. Best of luck to you in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, memories keep our family with us. Here's a bunch of acorns for you.

      Delete
  5. A delightful twist and a loving tribute to your Mom. Charming story, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Anne - it made me so happy to write it. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Just lovely, how sweet it is to remember the good old times and the stories they told us. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I age, these stories become more precious. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Eleanor.

      Delete
  7. Lovely, "true" story, Kathy. It's the family traditions that make our memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Mona. In 2017, I know you've made great memories w/your kids.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet story and fabulous tradition! Roger and Mom will never be forgotten. Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays to YOU, Jill. Tank you for commenting and reading this.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful tradition started by your sweet Mom <3 Kathy, I love this story and the surprise twist. Of course, I'm feeling me some Christmas tree cookies :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY for your help in making figure out how Roger's eyes should look! LOL. I am looking at you w/beady eyes. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, friend.

      Delete
  10. It's so wonderful to incorporate your memories of your mother. It fills your story with heart. Great job! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet, sweet story. I love this family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Pam. I also loved your idea on how to make it longer as a real PB ms. I aways appreciate your encouragement.

      Delete
  12. What a great tradition! I'm sure your mom would have loved to have read this sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story and a wonderful tradition, Kathy. I'd love to share a Christmas tree cookie with Roger. :) Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delfina, Roger would love to share one with you. HAPPY Holidays to you and yours.

      Delete
  14. Roger sounds like an amazing Christmas squirrel. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy I got chills reading about your childhood tradition. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauri, Thank yo so much. I hoped it would bring an emotional reaction. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  16. Aw! What a sweet story, Kathy! I love that it's based on your own family's traditions! Your opening paragraph and the one where Lori finds Roger's little gifts are especially beautifully written! Thanks for sharing this lovely story and joining the Holiday fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanna. Your contest gave wings to a new story to share w/my great niece this Christmas. Bless you.

      Delete
  17. Kathy this is such a sweet story! I love the Christmas squirrel! And that it's based on a true story. Your Lori reminds me of one of my childhood girlfriends, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas and I am glad you enjoyed this story, Mishka.

      Delete