Thursday, March 2, 2017

And We're Off to the Races: 50 Precious Words Contest by Kathy Halsey

Say, what? Yes, another contest...it's time for author Vivian Kirkfield's 50 Precious Words modeled off Bennet Cerf's challenge to Dr. Seuss to create a story using only 50 unique words. This was the origin of GREEN EGGS AND HAM. I recycled an old picture book manuscript and shaved it down to 47 words, no easy feat, believe me. 




Let's have a bit of word association before we begin, shall we? There's "feat" and "feet," but in my story we have  a race to the finish with "hoof" versus "paw." Yes, it's Blaze Cheetah versus Giraffe. (Did you know that a giraffe's hooves are as big as dinner plates? Did you know they can cruise at 35 mph? Did you know that we PB writers learn many odd facts?) Onward to our race!



Kalahari Elementary Track Meet

by Kathy Halsey

Blaze's fast,
Always best.
Giraffe laces up,
Cannot rest.

They'r-r-r-e OFF!
'Round the track.
Blaze zooms ahead,
Giraffe bounces back.

Giraffe tangles up.
Legs run amok!

Neck and neck,
Hoof to paw.
Near the half mark,
Shock'n awe.

Photo finish.
Who will win?
It's...GIRAFFE!
Mile-wide grin.

















37 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    I love animals stories as you well know and this one is fantastic fun! I also love that you used photos which always make me smile. Well done rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, Kathy! You've captured the action so wonderfully! And I'm so glad that Giraffe won - I had no idea that giraffes are so speedy nor that their hooves are as big as dinner plates. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, did you do one? I'd love to read it. Yes, giraffes are cool.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. TY for stopping by Michele. It's the exact opposite of NaNO, right?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. TY, Verbena Beth for reading this. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. Kathy! What an awesome job! I love the word choices...and the short phrasing helps me feel like #50PreciousWord fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Vivian. I am amazed yo have kept up w/reading all of these.

      Delete
  6. Love the story and the facts! You are rocking it, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Miss Charlotte. I appreciate you all as CPs.

      Delete
  7. I think I'd be running fast too if I had a Cheetah behind me! I love this story, and you really captured all the action of a great race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY. I appreciate your reading this and commenting.

      Delete
  8. What a fun read, Kathy! Great choice of words, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Pat. Every response makes me a happy writer!

      Delete
  9. Love it love it love it, Kathy! Great wordplay. Fun images. A kid-friendly competition. You killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So active and fun Kathy! Reminds me of school field days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy I love the language and the race. We need to get our giraffes together! Shock'n awe indeed. I have always loved their grins myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, giraffe love! I appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Love, love, love the action in this. Your language is on point. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun story with great wordplay, energy, and humor that leaves the reader smiling! Great race!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tortoise and the Hare flashes to mind. I guess giraffe won by a neck. Thanks for making us smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, lov your word play. I am so glad you read my story!

      Delete
  15. My son loves the giraffes at the zoo. So I will read this to him tonight. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored that you will share w/your son! TY, Gregory!

      Delete
  16. Kathy❤ Photo finish😄

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute poem, Kathy! Well done. I like giraffe's grin.

    ReplyDelete