Thursday, March 25, 2021

#SpringFlingKidLIt: MYSTERY CAT

 Such fun to begin spring with a #SpringFlingKidLit Challenge. The rules are as follows: a story geared for kids 12 and younger, a gif that inspires your story, no illustrations and a word count of 150 or less words. (Mine is 94 words.) Good luck to all who entered. Also, kudos to contest creators Kaitlyn Sanchez and Ciara O'Neal.

Note: This is my first attempt at creating a GIF, so bear with me. I can animate the print but not my main characters. 



MYSTERY CAT

by Kathy Halsey

(Normal text = tabby cat; Italic  = mystery cat)

So, you're a cat?
You might say that. 

I have sharp claws.
I have soft paws.

You live inside?
My world is wide.

I tuck my tail in human laps. 
My tail tells my family's past. 

Catnapping is my favorite thing.
I rise at dawn and greet the spring.

Do you purr, meow, and prey?
I dance on the breeze then fly away.

Count my lives. They say I have nine.
Put me in water to extend my bloodline.

I'm pussycat. What are you?
 
I'm pussy willow . . . the cat that grew!




 







 


 





























9 comments:

  1. Kathy, your story is so clever. I love the lyrical play between cat and pussy willow :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever, Kathy! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So neat! I love the compare and contrast and you fit it into rhyme as well. Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you included a favorite plant that is such a part of spring. And I'm so impressed with the rhyming dialogue. Best of luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness! This is so cleverly done. Promise you're gonna lengthen this for a NF pb. Oh I love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love a good mystery! Thanks for sharing for the spring fling Kidlit contest!

    ReplyDelete