Saturday, March 6, 2021

BOOKDROPPED ( contest piece for #50PRECIOUSWORDS 2021)

Time again for wonderful author and friend Vivian Kirkfield's #50 Precious Words Contest.  It's a fun challenge to tell a story in 50 or less word. My recent library visit and an overdue book fiasco got me thinking about how a book feels in a bookdrop. Voila, it became the inspiration of this very short tale taken from the POV of the book.

The guidelines state our story must be 50 words or less and appropriate for kids ages 12 or under. It may be prose, free verse, silly or serious. You can enjoy all the entries in this post.

I hope you enjoy my entry. (P.S. Always turn your books on time so you aren't hit with a $400+ overdue fine! I finally found all my run-away books and am out of library jail.)

WC: 48 words

BOOKDROPPED
by Kathy Halsey

Plopped
in a box.

Sardined
between novels,
textbooks,
and tomes.

Me?
A used-to-be
happy-go-lucky picture book
on a warm lap,
little fingers wrapped 
'round me,
rhythmic voices
telling my tale.

Set me free
so I can be
propped atop
my bookshelf,
ready 
for you
to take me home.


 







32 comments:

  1. Yes! Books want to be read. <3 Love it. ~ Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job! this is really cute :) And I LOVE the photo and saying on the top of this page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty, Melissa! Yes, we take the road less traveled and that's me in a Pink Caddy on Rt. 66.

      Delete
  3. A great story, Kathy. A unique slant told by that poor, lonely picture hook. I like the ebb and flow of your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you reading. Sherri and your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Perfect! Lyrical with heart and humor. Give it up for the picture book and it's positivity for the future <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Kathy! And this is the first time I’m visiting your blog. This disco beat still resonates with me as well. And, I was not that bad of a dancer as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, yes. Those hot, sweaty, agonizing school dsnces of the later 70s and early 80s.

      Delete
  6. Kathy- I seeing this from the book's perspective! Very Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I appreciate you reading & leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for e you reading & leaving your thoughts, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. This is so nice. A definite PB that needs to be told. So happy to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Sharon, if I could expand to create it into a PB that would be great. TY.

      Delete
  9. "on a warm lap,
    little fingers wrapped
    'round me,"

    These words drew me in. You really transformed this book into a living character here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute Kathy! Oh Book, I’ll take you home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, ty for your kind comment. Book says look him up! LOL

      Delete
  11. Actually feeling sorry for this poor picture book. Hope it find a home soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Ann. Right? He is going to get his own story though and become REAL.

      Delete
  12. So glad I came to your blog page. I love your 50 precious word poem. It as hard to scroll and read poems on the page and the links would just whorl. Good Luck! Rhonda Brown https://brontebrown2.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable, Kathy. I can't wait for the day when I dan hand my returns to a librarian and not dump them unceremoniously in the cold, metal book drop.

    ReplyDelete