Thursday, October 10, 2019

Kidlit Writing Frenzy Contest

Hi, y'all. It's fall and contest time. This is a new one hosted by Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez and Lydia Lukidis. Thank you ladies, and here's to apple cider and crisp cool days. 

The contest rules state: Pick a fall image (they had tons on their post), and write about it. We can write a poem. story, mood piece, whatever suits one's fancy. The audience is any kidlit age and maximum length is 200 words. 



I chose image #9 as it spoke to my years in Arizona where I  learned more about Mexican and Spanish culture. My four years in AZ taught me to better appreciate the plethora of cultures that make our country more diverse, stronger, and more interesting. 

Our first year in Phoenix we took our kids and grands to the Desert Botanical Gardens to experience their version of el Día de los Muertos, The Day of the Dead. Artists had set up a myriad of altares, and we were delighted to learn and enjoy a new tradition. I had just lost my mother to a stroke, and after reading up on Day of the Dead traditions, I created an alter for my mom. It made me feel her spirit. And, so, in that spirit, I wrote this piece.




Kathy Halsey                                                                                                         WC: 198                
@infowoman1 (twitter handle)                                                                         Prize: PB or CB
image #9
United States




Abuela’s Favorite Holiday: el Día de los Muertos

by Kathy Halsey 

            My bones rattle-clack as cool winds blow through them. It’s time.
           Time to settle in for fall. 
           Time to greet la familia again. 
            Oh, how I have missed them – my ninas and ninos. Once, we were together often, now just this special day. I have hovered near them since I passed on to a different world.
             But now, the veil is clear between the spirit world and my family. 
            I sniff, smile, and sneak a peek as Sonia readies my favorites . . . 
sweet breads, 
sugar skulls,
and spiced mole sauce.
            Rafa and Alejandro gather to place special offerings on my altares  . . .
tangerine marigolds,
photos of mi marido at our wedding,
candles that light my way;
water for this journey of mine.
            A tear slides, but I shake away my longing for the past. For now we will dance, feast, and parade. Will Rafa don a fancy suit and paint his face this year? Oh, my Alejandro, how he loves to “raise the dead” as he says, with strings of shells and noisemakers. 
            The breeze stops and I alight. “Mi familia? It’s Abuela. Ready for two glorious days of el Día de los Muertos?” 

34 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Kathy! I I’d completely forgotten about the Fall Frenzy. I think your story would make a fantastic picture book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Beth. I love all the traditions others bring to our own families.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful interpretation of the photo. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Lorraine, writer feedback is golden. I appreciate you reading my piece.

      Delete
  4. Kathy a sweet story.❤️ Love bones rattle- clack and the Spanish words add to the mood. Lovely job❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Janie, for reading and giving me comments. Hugs, CP.

      Delete
  5. We've been to the Desert Botanical Garden events, too.
    You absorbed some wonderful details in your four years in AZ. Very moving piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DBG are on e of my fave places in all of AZ along w/Taliesen West and The AZ Biltmore. Plus the desert. TY for seeing the emotion.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful! I felt like I was right there with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Kathy! I love how you've woven in the Mexican traditions and the familial love that knows no boundaries. Thanks for the heads up on this new contest, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, friend, did you get in the contest on time? TY of your comments, Patricia.

      Delete
  8. I love the voice and mood that you've created, Kathy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY so much. I think living in AZ & exploring SW culture in general helped.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, Kathy! I have a few Day of the Dead stories myself. ;) I'm so glad Abuela made it back to visit her familia, and I'm glad to hear that the traditions surrounding el Día de los Muertos comforted you after the loss of your mother. We have a year-round ofrenda at my house for our loved ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jolene, I am sur ego have many more stories than I do. Ty for reading this piece. May you remember and have a goo d visit w/your loved ones this year. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely tribute to your mom,and so sweet that you made her an alter after learning this beautiful tradition. Thanks so much for sharing this sweet piece with us for the Fall Writing Frenzy!

    Sincerely,
    Kaitlyn Sanchez

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ty, Kaitlyn, for reading and responding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this, Kathy, and big congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this, Kathy! It's beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY, Jill. Coming from a write like you, it means a lot.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! What a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am gal you enjoyed it, TY for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Kathy! You are so talented and this piece really showcases your diverse interests and talents!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, Liana, I feel uplifted by this. TY.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful, great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job Kathy. As David said we were transported to themiddle of this family celebration. Congrats on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  20. TY, Maria, for stepping by to read. We writes support each other. Cheers to us.

    ReplyDelete